County Fair, Pumpkin Patch, Train Rides Among the Family Acitivities in Guernsey County, OH
As the sunny summer skies give way to the fiery brilliant autumn leaves, Guernsey County offers a plethora of kid friendly fall actvities. Cambridge, the county seat, is within a day’s drive of 11 major cities, making it a great day trip destination. Located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, it is along one of the most scenic stretches of the National Road in the state.
Local Debbie Robinson of www.VisitGuernseyCounty.com shares a few of the fun family activities going on now and into fall:
- Grandparents, grab your grandkids on September 12 for Grandparents Day at My SweeTea Pie Tea Room in Downtown Cambridge.
- What would the fall be without the Guernsey County Fair with tons of kids’ activities? Now in its 162nd year, the fair takes place September 14-20.
- Relive your favorite childhood tradition at the Cambridge Trading Company Pumpkin Patch open Thursday through Sunday, September 24-October 31 with free hayrides on Saturdays and Sundays.
- No Halloween celebration would be complete without a Fall Family Fun Fest. Join the folks at Deerassic Park Education Center on October 24 to participate in games, arts and craft activities, and outdoor activities free of charge. The community wide “Trick-or-Treat” will be held that evening.
- And speaking of “Treats,” you and your children are in for a big treat at the Children’s Halloween Concert on October 25. Join our own Southeastern Ohio Symphony Orchestra at Pritchard Laughlin Civic Center. Children are free! Bring them in their Halloween costume!
- Be transported to a bygone era, when coal was king and whistle-stop train stations dotted the landscape. Climb aboard the Byesville Scenic Railway to enjoy a 1-½ hour-long round trip train excursion through scenic southeastern Ohio. Departing from Byesville, vintage coach cars take passengers through the beautiful countryside while a first-person interpreter makes the trip educational and entertaining. The train runs now through December 13 with Fall Foliage Excursions on October 10 and 11. www.bsrw.org
- Need a few more ideas? Visit the Living Word Outdoor Drama, Ohio’s Passion Play, the Hopalong Cassidy Museum, dedicated to our hometown boy, William Boyd who portrayed the beloved cowboy, Salt Fork State Park, the largest state park in Ohio, our glass factories and museums, Seneca Lake the third largest lake in Ohio, The Wilds, a 9,000-acre one-of-a-kind conservation facility, the John and Annie Glenn Historic Site and Dickinson Cattle Ranch.