See why you should visit Treasure Island, St. Petersburg; for your Florida Family Beach Vacation
Ahoy mateys! Welcome to the second edition of “Florida with Kids” series centering on the best Florida family beaches and Florida beach vacations. If you missed the first post, check out “Florida with Kids: Siesta Beach”, it’s a diamond of a gem in the Florida family beach vacation treasure chest.
Treasure Island is no slouch on the Florida family beach vacation list either. This little three mile islet nestled between St. Pete Beach -which is just south of Treasure Island on Gulf Blvd. (a.k.a. SR 699) and Madeira Beach -just north of Treasure Island on Gulf Blvd. isn’t marketed as the “Treasure of the Gulf Coast” and “A Jewel of the Gulf Beaches” for nothing.
Treasure Island’s beauty isn’t exaggerated one bit, which is one reason it sits at #2 on my list of the best “Florida with Kids” family beach vacations, filled with more fun for pirates, kids, tweens, toddlers, adults; all sea and land lubbers alike.
Things to do around Treasure Island Beach:
Treasure Island Beach Access: Gulf Blvd & 104th Ave., Treasure Island, St. Petersburg, FL 33706.
The main Florida family beach on Treasure Island, where everyone goes to enjoy the white sand, family friendly amenities and fun in the sun. Treasure Island Beach Access Virtual Tour.
Treasure Island Municipal Beach Playground is a kid friendly park located at Gulf Blvd & 112th Ave. B, Treasure Island, FL 33706, ph. (727) 360-3278. It’s basically a small playground directly on the beach that’s open from 7am to 7pm.
Both Treasure Island Beach Parks include amenities such as:
- shade cabanas
- over 200 public parking spaces
- restrooms with changing facilities
- water fountains
- beach showers
- bicycle racks
“Florida with Kids”- Things to Do besides Play in the Sand;
Fun Center Treasure Island Florida -103 104th Ave. Treasure Island, St. Petersburg, FL 33706- ph. (727) 360-3003.
If by chance, you get tired of all the sand and family beach fun, you can always grab the kids and head to the Fun Center of Treasure Island, it’s a large arcade / amusement center with acres of arcade games and all sorts of fun for kids (and adults) including over 160 arcade games and others like skee-ball, air hockey, pinball, and even pool tables. Now doesn’t that make going to Florida with kids sound like fun?
And just a stone’s throw, over the Treasure Island bridge, you’ll find these fun things to do at St. John’s Pass and Madeira Beach:
Pirate Ship-John’s Pass– 140 Boardwalk Pl W., Madeira Beach, FL 33708-2692. The Pirate Ship to see at John’s Pass, all your little land lubbers will love this, with family fun cruises, treasure hunts, water gun battles, pirate face painting, pirate stories, limbo and a swashbuckling dance party. “Yes ya’ scurvy dogs, they are a real pirate ship that cruises through the waters of Treasure Island and Boca Ciega Bay (also best place to catch sight of some dolphins), and returns you to the village of Johns Pass”. If that doesn’t make you want to grab your suitcase and head to Florida with the kids, I don’t know what will!
Smugglers Cove Adventure Golf-15395 Gulf Blvd., Madeira Beach, FL 33708-More great family fun, play miniature golf and more.
John’s Pass Village and Boardwalk–12860 John’s Way, Madeira Beach, Florida 33708
OLD TIME PHOTOS, John’s Pass Village; adventure museum-type fun, something interesting for everyone.
Parrots of the Caribbean-146 Boardwalk Pl E., Madeira Beach, FL 33708- Trolley boat tour adventures. Crazy fun for the whole family.
Host Dolphin Tours-557 Crystal Dr., Madeira Beach, FL 33708-2363- Guided boat tour, see dolphins!
Great Explorations – Hands On Children’s Museum
1927 Fourth Street North, St. Petersburg
“Stretch those mental muscles, test wits, fire up the imagination with exhibits in the arts, sciences, technology and health, all designed to be touched, moved, explored at the ‘Children’s Hands On’ museum popular with all ages.”
Family-Friendly Restaurants on Treasure Island Beach:
There are tons of kid-friendly restaurants on Treasure Island, but here are just a sampling of what this Florida family beach vacation spot offers for all your hungry pirates:
- The Blue Parrot -85 Corey Cir., St Petersburg, FL 33706 ph; (727) 368-9619
- The Floridian-230 107th Avenue, Treasure Island, Florida- Best Cuban Sandwich around.
- Beach Snoballs -10927 Gulf Blvd. Treasure Island, FL 33706 ph; (727) 415-8326 – call them snocones or shaved ice, these treats are delicious!
- Sloppy Joe’s-10650Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island, Florida-Beachfront food and drink. Smoking area available.
- The Pearl Restaurant-163 107th Ave., Treasure Island, Florida-Fine Dining
- Madeleina Cottage -357 Corey Ave. St Pete Beach, FL 33706 ph; (727) 367-1727
- Super Scoops– 11025 Gulf Boulevard, Treasure Island, FL 33706-Homemade Ice Cream, Coffee, Candy and more
- Shake Shop– 11920 Gulf Blvd.,Treasure Island, FL 33706
- Paradise Grille-900 Gulf Way, St Petersburg, FL 33706
- Vida de Cafe-120 8th Ave. St Pete Beach, FL 33706 ph: (727) 289-7164
- P J’s Oyster Bar -7500 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706 Ph:(727) 367-3309
- Brass Monkey -709 Gulf Way, St Pete Beach, FL 33706 ph:(727) 367-7620
- Wahoo’s Bar and Grill– (727) 290-9856, 149 107th Ave.,Treasure Island, FL 33706-Good sea food at reasonable prices. Full liquor bar, Happy Hour.
- Ricky T’s Bar and Grille-10601 Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island, Fl. 33706-Where the local’s go for food and drink. Smoking area available.
- Caddy’s Waterfront – ph; (727) 360-4993 – 9000 W Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island, FL 33706-Classic Florida Beach Bar and Grill. Smoking area available.
- Foxy’s Beach Cafe-160 107th Avenue, Treasure Island, Florida-Family dinner open early and late. Smoking area available
- Gator’s Cafe & Saloon-12754 Kingfish Dr., Treasure Island, Florida-live music.
- Britt’s Coal Fire Pizza – (727) 360-6561 – 10709 Gulf Blvd. Treasure Island, FL 33706
- Cafe Arts (727) 363-1919- 130 107th Ave. Treasure Island, FL 33706
- Captain Kosmakos Seafood House (727) 367-3743 – 9610 Gulf Blvd.,Treasure Island, FL 33706-Seafood and Steaks. Happy Hour 7 days a week.
Where to Stay; Family-Friendly Hotels on Treasure Island Beach:
There are scads of kid-friendly hotels and resorts on Treasure Island, but here are just a sampling of what this Florida family beach vacation spot offers for all your hunkered out-tired pirates:
- BeachComber Beach Resort Hotel- 6200 Gulf Blvd., Saint Petersburg Beach, FL 33706
- Tradewinds Island Grand- 5500 Gulf Blvd., St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Grand Plaza Hotel Beachfront Resort and Conference Center- 5250 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Sirata Beach Resort- 5300 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Tradewinds Guy Harvey Outpost and Suites– 6000 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Don Cesar Beach House Suites – 3860 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Postcard Inn On The Beach- 6300 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Alden Beach Resort-5900 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Bayview Plaza Waterfront Resort- 4321 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Blind Pass Resort- 7901 Blind Pass Road, St. Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Bay Palms Waterfront Resort-4237 Gulf Blvd. St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Plaza Beach Hotel Beachfront Resort- 4508 Gulf Blvd. St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Gulf Strand-4510 Gulf Blvd.,Saint Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Howard Johnson Resort Hotel-6100 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Dolphin Beach Resort-4900 Gulf Blvd.,St Pete Beach, FL 33706
- Gulf Winds Resort-6800 Sunset Way, St Pete Beach, FL 33706
If you’ve stayed or visited on or near Treasure Island Beach in St. Petersburg, Florida for your Florida Family Beach Vacation, leave me a comment about it, I’d love to hear about your family friendly swashbuckling adventures! And stay tuned for more of the “Florida with Kids” series.