Free outdoor movies to play in downtown San Jose this summer
Starlight Cinemas – FREE Summer Outdoor Films enjoyed under the stars
Eight great events Thursdays June 14 – August 23, plus 4th annual Zombie-O-Rama August 31
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Enjoy free movies under the stars on a warm San Jose night this summer at Starlight Cinema. Bring your family and friends and join us for pre-show fun and entertainment before the screening itself.
The San Jose Downtown Association presents free summer outdoor movie classics on seven Thursdays at 7 p.m. through Aug. 23. The climax of the eight-night series this year – the fourth annual Zombie-O-Rama – will take place Friday, Aug. 31.
The Zombie event, which begins at 4 p.m. with free makeup, has grown from 1,500 participants in 2009 to 2,000 in 2010 and 3,000 in 2011. It includes fashion show, costume contests, live music, a young zombies parade for the entire family, and a “zombie crawl” and parade that passes a dozen participating bars and restaurants throughout downtown San Jose (both before and after the movie screening of “Shaun of the Dead”). The event, co-sponsored by SLG Art Boutiki, also features a canned food drive benefiting Second Harvest. Check zombieorama.com for more information.
For Thursday nights:
- Movies begin at dusk, pre-show entertainment begins at 7 p.m.
- BYOC or B – Bring Your own Chair or Blanket
- Pick up food and drink at neighboring stores and restaurants.
- Admission: FREE and open to general public
- Contacts: (408) 279-1775 / www.sjdowntown.com/starlight and www.cinequest.org
St. James Park (corner of 2nd and St. James St.)
- Thursday, June 14 – “Hook” (1991/PG) – starring Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams, and Julia Roberts. Pre-movie: Aaaaarggghhhh. Come early, Matey, for pirate games. Best costumes win tickets to Broadway San Jose’s “Peter Pan”.
San Pedro Market (Peralta Adobe Plaza)
- Thursday, June 21 – “Some Like It Hot” (1959/PG) – starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. Pre-movie: Marilyn look-alike contest and sing-along with Broadway San Jose stars
- Thursday, July 19 – “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” (1966/R) – Starring Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef. Pre-movie: Clint Eastwood trivia and Spaghetti Western BINGO
- Thursday, August 16 – “Sixteen Candles” (1984/PG) – starring Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald. Pre-movie: Radio Alice “Sweet 16 Celebration” = ’80s prom night and dance, dance, dance contests.
Post Street (between First and Market St.)
- Thursday, June 28 – “Little Shop of Horrors” (1986 Musical Comedy/PG-13) – starring Rick Moranis, Steve Martin. Pre-movie: live music, flower arranging contests and trivia
- Thursday, July 26 – “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975/R) – starring Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick. Pre-movie: The Bawdy Caste performance group performing prior to – and during – the movie, including a group “Time Warp” dance.
- Thursday, August 23 – “Singin’ In The Rain” (1952/G) – starring Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor and Debbie Reynolds. Pre-movie: Broadway San Jose group participation dancing/lessons.
SoFA/South First Street (between William and Reed streets)
- Friday, August 31 – “Shaun of the Dead” (2004/R) – starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Pre-movie: Zombie-O-Rama IV events* – make up artists at SLG Art & Boutiki; pre and post movie zombie crawl; young zombie parade; costume contests; live bands and more. Check zombieorama.com
- June 14 – “Hook,” St. James Park (corner of 2nd and St. James St.)
- June 21 – “Some Like It Hot,” San Pedro Market (Peralta Adobe Plaza)
- June 28 – “Little Shop of Horrors,” Post Street (between First and Market St.)
- July 19 – “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly,” San Pedro Market (Peralta Adobe Plaza)
- July 26 – “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” Post Street (between First and Market St.)
- Aug. 16 – “Sixteen Candles,” San Pedro Market (Peralta Adobe Plaza)
- Aug. 23 – “Singin’ In The Rain,” Post Street (between First and Market St.)
- Aug. 31 – “Shaun of the Dead” and Zombie-O-Rama IV, SoFA/South First Street (between William and Reed St.) –
San Jose Downtown Association, Metro Newspapers, City of San Jose Office of Cultural Affairs, City of San Jose Parking, Councilmember Sam Liccardo, CINEQUEST, SanJose.com, SLG Art Boutiki & Gallery, Republic Services, Broadway San Jose. McEnery Family, San Pedro Square Market. KCBS 740 AM. KFOG 97.7 and 104.5. NOW 99.7. Alice@97.3 and Live 105.3.