One of my favorite Florida family vacation cities is St. Augustine, Florida. Not only is St. Augustine the oldest city in America …really! It beats Plymouth Rock by 55 years! And it has some of the most interesting historical sites you’ll see in the whole U.S., but the kids will love all the fun things to see and do in the oldest city in America. Also be sure to read BestKidFriendlyTravel’s First Coast post to learn more about the First Coast of Florida area which also includes Amelia Island, Jacksonville, and Fernandina Beach areas. Come see why St. Augustine is one of the best kid friendly Florida family vacation cities in the U.S.
“The Spanish founded St. Augustine in 1565, making it the oldest continuously occupied European city in the New World – that is 42 years before the English colonized Jamestown, and 55 years before the pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock.”
Kid Friendly Things to Do in St. Augustine, on your Florida family vacation
Castillo de San Marcos– is one of my favorite places in the city. See the Florida Family Beach Vacations; The First Coast post, it has more great info on things to do in St. Augustine, FL for families.
St. Augustine Beach is located at; 2106 A1A South in ST. AUGUSTINE, FL-
is located on Anastasia Island where you can enjoy sandy beaches, the St. Johns County Pier, a playground, pavilion, fishing pier, volleyball courts, bait shops, fine restaurants, shopping and more. RV and cabin ...more on Oldcity.com
This very popular strand is the closest beach to downtown. It’s on the … more on Fodor’s
- “The water was beautiful, dolphins swimming nearby.” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- “Then it gradually went to a sand which is more firm and good for playing and building.” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- “It is nicely maintained, much cleaner, quieter and peaceful.” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- “No cars are allowed on this part of the beach and you can swim, surf, sunbathe, walk, or bicycle in relative peace (oh yeah, you can fish, too, if you don’t mind hauling your equipment on foot …” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- “I will definately return to the beautiful beaches of St.” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- “Really neat things to see with tons of different alligators and crocks plus birds and turtles among other things the staff is very friendly.” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- “We had a great time visiting the Alligator Farm with our three elementary-and middle-school aged children.” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- “Yep I said FREE.” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- “The exhibits are very clean and the alligators look almost…” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- “This is one of those affordable things to do that no one ever thinks of…but more should.” Reviews from TripAdvisor
- Bring the whole family for a day of fun at this amusement park that features a European style go-kart track, a children’s go-kart track, batting cages, a miniature golf course, a Max Flight simulator, and Florida’s first full service outdoor paintball facility.
- Places Family Fun Factory is a premier supplier of amusement in Florida. Visit them at St Augustine or call us … more on localamusementparks.com
St Augustine Sightseeing Train– awesome for families, and you don’t have to worry about driving or finding parking. Cool way to see everything
- “It’s a great way to get around the city and you don’t have to worry about the parking.”
- “It was much easier than trying to find parking places.”
- “For a good price, you get a ticket to ride the trains all day.”
- “The starting point has free parking.”
Ghost Tours on your Florida family vacation:
Now, everyone talks about the Ghost Tours in St. Augustine, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them for the little one’s as it could be too scary for them. But if your family is into that sort of thing there are tons of places that claim to have the best ghost tours in the city. My suggestion would be to ask the locals as many of the ghost tours may be scams. But if you love the ghosties, check out –
Ripley’s Ghost Train Adventure in St Augustine, FL call them +1 904 824 1606 perfect on your Florida family vacation.
A Ghostly Experience Walking Tour Homepage: www.ghosttoursofstaugustine.com. Located at; 2 Saint George Street, St. Augustine, FL 32084, ph# (904) 829-1122.
But the Creepy Crawl is supposedly the best REAL ghost tour (it’s a PUB tour folks so only adults on this one).
If you’re not into ghosts, you may like watching dolphins at the harbor tour for your Florida family vacation…
St. Augustine Dolphin Watch and Harbor Tours- email; firstname.lastname@example.org. located at; 111 Avenida Menendez, Suite B
- “My family and I will be sure to come back for more when we visit again in the Spring!”
- “On top of that, we enjoyed some views of the Bridge, Waterfront, Fort, and Lighthouse that you can’t get on land.”
Best Kid Friendly RESTAURANTS in St. Augustine on your Florida family vacation:
The best Kid Friendly Restaurants according to voters from the urbanspoon.com in St. Augustine, Florida:
- Ned’s Southside Kitchen
- Columbia Restaurant
- A1A Ale Works
- The Floridian
- The Back 40 Urban Cafe
- Harry’s of St. Augustine
- The Hyppo
- Corky Bell’s
- Purple Olive
- Schmagel’s Bagels
But don’t forget Barnacle Bills!
Take a cruise through The Restaurant Times Recommended Dining Guide to learn more about St. Augustine’s Chefs and favorite kid friendly restaurants. See the restaurant times.net for awesome dining information and family friendly locations.
Places to Stay on your Florida family vacation in St. Augustine; Kid Friendly Resorts and Hotel:
ST. AUGUSTINE BEACH
Hampton Inn St Augustine Beach
430 A1A Beach Boulevard
Saint Augustine Beach, FL 32080
The Hampton Inn St Augustine Beach is located one block from the municipal fishing pier and within walking distance to many restaurants.
Americas Best Value Inn Ocean Inn
3955 A1A South
Saint Augustine Beach, FL 32080
The Americas Best Value Inn Ocean Inn welcomes you to St. Augustine Beach, FL.
Quality Inn & Suites St. Augustine Beach
901 A1A Beach Boulevard
Saint Augustine Beach, FL 32080
The Quality Inn & Suites is located two blocks from St Augustine Beach and approximately 50 miles from 51m Jacksonville International Airport.
Casa Monica Resort & Spa Autograph Collection
95 Cordova Street
Saint Augustine, FL 32084
Casa Monica Resort & Spa is located on the plaza that once featured three grand hotels built in the late 19th century.
World of Golf Resort
475 Commerce Lake Drive
Saint Augustine, FL 32095
Luxury hotel on private & lavish grounds near World Golf Village featuring indoor and outdoor pools ensure year-round enjoyment.
Best Western Seaside Inn
541 A1A Beach Boulevard
Saint Augustine, FL 32080
Experience history, beauty, and fun in the Nation’s Oldest City while staying in the comforts and pleasures of home.
Wingate By Wyndham St. Augustine
2465 Highway 16
Saint Augustine, FL 32092
This Wingate by Wyndham is located near the intersection of I-95 and Highway 16, approximately seven miles from the center of St. Augustine.