Anyone know what this creepy critter is? Here are some clues:
- We found it on the beach in Myrtle Beach.
- It’s about 2.5 inches long and about 1 inch diameter.
- I’m really not sure which end is the head… I think it’s on the right.
- It’s dead. It was dead when we found it.
- It is some sort of crustacean.
Here are more angles:
We asked our lifeguard who promptly told us what it was, and his answer floored us!
Now, I put the question to you, dear readers, do you know what this is? Leave your answer in the comments below or on our Facebook page, and feel free to ask questions there, too. I wish I had some cool prize to offer to correct answers, but hopefully the satisfaction of being right will suffice. 😉
Looks like what we used to call sand crabs in California!
Yes, that’s what I thought it was, but the lifeguard told us it was a sand flea!! If that’s true, that thing was HUGE!!
Yep, that’s definitely a sand flea or sand crab. It’s just different names depending on what area you’re from. Here is some more info and pics:
Anyway, nice find, as he’s a big one at 2.5″ long. Biggest one I ever found was about an inch.
I’m just glad it was not alive when we found it. It kind of creeped us out. 🙂